Enlisting for service on 23 April 1915 in Sydney, Murrurrundi-born nurse Evelyn Wright had previously worked as a nurse at the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children. Embarking overseas on 15 May 1915, Sister Wright served continuously at hospitals and clearing stations in England and France until the Armistice was signed in November 1918. She served in the Australian Army Nursing Service.
After the fighting ceased, Wright was attached to No. 44 and No. 3 Casualty Clearing Stations as they conducted their retiring sweep through France and occupied Germany; the latter where Wright helped nurse victims suffering pneumonic influenza.
Evelyn Wright eventually returned to Australia in late 1919, living and working on her family’s farm at Tamworth from the 1930s. She died while still living on the farm in 1985 at the age of 103.
These objects complement a previous donation that includes letters written by Evelyn Wright while serving in Europe and a photo album from the period.